I write and talk a lot about the things we should do to live a life full of presence and joy, but there are also times that we need to do nothing! We need to just chill and relax, taking a step back from all the “shoulds” and have some downtime without feeling guilty.
It requires balance to live a happy life. We must refuel, and honor our needs. Time in nature, exercising, connecting with dear friends, and downtime with my family all help me to re-energize, but there are also times that I just want to be alone with my iPad!
I read a ton of metaphysical and self-help books because I truly love them and they fill me up, but I usually alternate them with a good old fashion fun read. I started reading tons of fiction in college, and I will never forget the first book that grabbed me and started my love affair with reading. It was Wally Lamb’s “She’s Come Undone.” For years I read almost a book a week, and hardly ever turned on the television.
I have a few fiction books on my list that I haven’t read yet, but am excited to. They are:
A few of my very all-time favorites are:
- The No Angel trilogy by Penny Vincenzi
- The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd
- The Light Between the Oceans by M.L. Stedman
- 11/22/62 by Stephen King (don’t let that deter you! It’s not scary)
- The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller
- The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom
- The Invisible Bridge by Julie Orringer
- Any single book written by Pat Conroy
- Shanghai Girls by Lisa See
And some great non-fiction because true stories are often the best:
- Dinner at the Smileys by Sarah Smiley
- The Sanctuary of Outcasts by Neil White
- Wild by Cheryl Strayed
- Stories I Tell My Friends by Rob Lowe
- Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
- The Invisible Wall by Harry Bernstein
If you haven’t read my book, it’s for sure a must read (hint, hint!). Hot Mess to Mindful Mom is written in bite sized chapters and is chock full of tips and ideas that will make a difference in your life immediately!
And if you want some more amazing self-help and spiritual reading:
- A Return to Love by Marianne Williamson
- Miracles Now and May Cause Miracles by Gabrielle Bernstein
- The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
- The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz
- The Big Leap by Gay Hendricks
- Journey to the Heart by Melody Beattie
Then there are times when you just want to binge watch some awesome TV. That is how I usually do it, pretty obsessively when I find a series I love.
Some of my favorites are:
- Mozart in the Jungle (currently watching on amazon prime and LOVE it)
- Girlfriend’s Guide to Divorce
- Jane the Virgin
- Ray Donovan
- Downton Abbey
Next up on my list is “Younger” (on demand) which I heard is awesome.
This should be enough to fill up your summer and then some. PLEASE hit reply and SHARE your favorites with me and I will add them to my list!